14 January 2008

High School Part 1

Yeah, OK.

I took the weekend off from blogging.

Shoot me.

See, there's this thing called sleep and another thing called going to see Sweeney Todd with your Johnny Depp-infatuated friend Teri and something else known as trash your office/craft room and re-arrange the furniture that you just re-arranged nine months ago 'cause you're never going to be happy with it!

So, there you go.

And, here you go, dear reader. I've decided to just cover my 10th and 11th grade pictures for you today. 12th grade needs its own post, where I will pay tribute to my best friend (with whom I just recently re-connected) and the silliness that was high school in general.

So, 10th grade painfully dawned with a loss of all my junior high friends. Why? I don't know. I'm still asking myself that same question 21 years later. If you know, shoot me a line. If you find out, let me know. Teenagers are such fickle little fu.... well, you know.


Yeah, as you can tell in the bottom right picture (moi), the cool short 9th grade hair had turned into an overgrown helmet. The 'rents were running a bit short of cash and so a new do was late in coming that year. Thus, the horrible helmet hair for school pictures. I'll never live this one down. Guy in the top row, next to last pic? Kevin, I'm sorry man for sitting behind you in English and constantly torturing you by flinging your sweatshirt hoodie over your head. If you like, I'll send you my physical addy so that you might come over and kick my rear. I'm ready, hon! I deserve it!

The other momentous thing to happen this year? I met my Ty-man at....

Wait for it.

Space Camp.

Seriously.

If you think I'm posting pictures of that here, you're crazy. The yearbook pictures are enough ridicule for one day.

OK, on to the 11th. By this time I had reconciled myself to the fact that those junior high friends were never coming back. I made new friends and never looked back. I was on the prom committee and had a wonderful time with all those people. Interestingly enough, when I look back on prom committee, we were all a bunch of 11th grade rejects planning the night of the year for a bunch of ungrateful seniors. Hee hee! That plus scoring drum major of the band (aaaawwwww yeah!) made the years much better.


So, there I am, first row, second picture. Hair still very scary (that whole bang thing) but I seemed to like it back then and that's all that matters!

13 comments:

Avitable said...

In your 10th grade photo, the guy above you has an even better hairdo!

Avitable said...

Oh, and Sweeney Todd was pretty good, wasn't it?

Not that that gives you an excuse not to blog, though.

Miss Britt said...

Um, honey? Baby? Sweetheart?

I think I've solved the mystery of the disappearing junior high friends.

And I think it might possibly have something to do with a helmet.

Gypsy said...

I don't know why we thought that we needed that much going on on our foreheads. Seriously. Why? ;)

Coal Miner's Granddaughter said...

Avitable - Sweeney Todd rocked. Blood and gore! Mwhhhaaaaa! "Revenge is a dish best served cold!"

Miss Britt - I know. I know. Helmet hair is the cause of many lost teenage friendships. I think there was an after-school special about it.

Gypsy - We were all misguided, weren't we? Big hair scare!

Chelsea Talks Smack said...

OHHH How I love a good yearbook photo.

The Ferryman said...

I'm your best friend now though, right? Right?

I'm not needy.

Not Afraid to Use It said...

Dude, I think we had the same haircut with the whole bangs thing going on. I love that you are posting these pictures. You DEF have a pair on you. LOL

RiverPoet said...

I'm still laughing about the Original Bed Head in the middle row, far right, 10th grade. Dude, get a COMB!

I missed reading you this weekend!!!!

Peace - D

PS - my hubby STILL wants to go to Space Camp. Was it awesome?

Unknown said...

1) Miss Brit already took care of my first statement.

2) I headed the prom committee my junior year, too, even though I only spent a total of 45 minutes at the prom because my boyfriend was a dick. I made up for it my senior year - I went solo and had a blast! Glad you enjoyed yourself. :)

3) I'm STILL jealous that you went to space camp...

Military Mom said...

If I was ever brave enough to post it, which I'm not, you would see my high school pictures were very scary indeed. I had this idea that I was a heavy metal bad-ass! And the high spiky hair to prove it. God, we were dorks back then!

Coal Miner's Granddaughter said...

Chelsea - Glad to be of service!

Fab - Oh, sweetie. You're not needy. Just delusional.

NATUI - Yes, a pair of D cups. Definitely!

Momma - That was Sean. Tragic soul. Extremely intelligent. Should have skipped high school right to college. Very bored and so dropped out. Nice guy, though. And Space Camp ROCKED!

Andrea - 1) Great minds... 2) Prom was awesome 11th and 12th grades for me because of Ty-man... 3) You know, there is Space Camp for adults....

Military Mom - Come on, sweetie! Scan 'em! Post 'em! We were ALL dorky back then!

Unknown said...

One time, at space camp .... ;-)

I bet the other girls were jealous about the great, beautiful, bigness you achieved with your hair.

(Oh, and it's not that I'm infatuated with Johnny Depp, well not ONLY that, but I also feel sorry for him because he hasn't met me yet, so he has no idea what he's missing out on.)