27 March 2009

Yesterday

So, about yesterday. Yesterday, yesterday, yesterday....

It was a DOOZY!

I woke up to the sweet sounds cacophony of three sick kids. Three. Sick kids.

Yeah. All coughing and snotting and feverish and whining.

When we finally proceeded downstairs for breakfast, I bitched and moaned about having three sick kids at home, that I'm clearly not qualified to care for three sick kids until I've had one mug of coffee and ten pieces of chocolate, and that my husband should tag-team until I've had said daily nutritional requirements. He? Just looked at me with glee as he pronounced, Well! See you later! I gotta go to work! and made like The Flash out the door.

Sometimes that whole working to put a roof over our heads and food on our table thing can be such a bitch.

Since the kids were coughing and snotting and whining while simultaneously glued to Little Bear, I decided to go downstairs to take care of the resident quadruped's litter box. And there it was. Our storage closet with an exterior door. Flooded from all the rain. And did I mention there was mud, too?

Yo! Ty-man? Work? Whatev. You've got a flooded basement. Your work is here.

I heartily laughed amid the sobs of realizing my dream of buying my four Kohler super-flush-ain't-nothing-clogging-these-puppies-up-so-eat-all-the-chili-cheese-fries-you-can-handle-and-wipe-with-an-entire-roll-of-toilet-paper-because-we've-got-you-covered toilets had just been washed away with the rain.

Many sighs, three hours in the mud, and a $2,700 quote from the local landscaping wunderkind later, we have discovered a drainage problem of biblical proportions in our back, side, and front yards. In order to keep from making like Noah, I am forgoing my dream toilets for better yard drainage.

Joy.

And the high point of my day? A mammogram.

Yeah. Not to worry, all is well. But you gals know that after three whining kids and mud in your house, getting your mammary glands squished in some prehistoric torture device is the least of your troubles.

I'm so frakking glad it's Friday.

9 comments:

That One said...

May your Friday be snot-, mud-, and mammory-torture-device- free.

Happy day!

Patois42 said...

Totally the least of anyone's troubles. Damn, I can't believe the money you're going to have to pay. Ouch. Sell a kid?

Not Afraid to Use It said...

Now I am normally one for personal responsibility, but is there any way that this was something that should have been disclosed in the real estate paperwork? Or that the builder should have known? Because it sucks that you are having to deal with someone elses' slack-assery.

Robin said...

Hope you're having a better day!

RiverPoet said...

WTF?? Girl, I hope your Friday and your weekend are much better. I agree with NATUI, this should have been disclosed. Ugh. I'm so sorry you're dealing with a wet basement on top of sick kids. I imagine the boobie-squisher was nothing. I can picture you going, "You've got NOTHING! You ain't seen stress!"

D

sybil law said...

Wow. That really was a complete shit day!
Hope today is better - and that you have a wonderful weekend!

Merrily Down the Stream said...

O my! To heck with this weekend - let's go DIRECTLY to next week!

AShlie- Mommycosm said...

Oy! I"m reading this a little late, so I'm hoping that things have settled down there a bit. Hang in there.

A Free Man said...

Yeah, my Friday sucked as well. Maybe with less effluvia, but still.