03 April 2012

The Forest Quiet

It's Spring Break and we're spending it in the quiet and still of the north Georgia mountains. I don't know if it's the slower pace, the higher altitude, or the muffins my mother-in-law makes, but I find myself drifting through the days. In a good way. There's no rush or need to be anywhere, do anything.

I. Just. Am.

A typical day finds me responding to my kids OK, but just for a minute or Mama doesn't have time right now or Can you give me a sec, sweetie? The constant ebb and flow of the busy suburban life wears me down like the coral at ocean's edge. But here, in the cool north of the 13th colony, all is quiet. Life is like that burbling creek, slipping through the smooth rocks with a cool hush.

Miss-Miss and I dipped our feet into that hush today. She and her brothers built a little dam in the creek and I calmly watched, not worrying about the dizzying passage of time or the way we hurtle through space each second. We just... were. There was no news of the outside, no FYI of the latest world tensions, or which presidential candidate is jockeying for votes. It was all flowers, breeze, and a lush, mossy carpet cushioning our feet.

For right now, we are calm on this crazy rock, just watching, without a care, as the universe goes by. And I like it.

9 comments:

sybil law said...

Can I come down and sit with you?!!
Seriously - jealous. But happy you're relaxing and enjoying!

HEATHER said...

I'm with Sybil, can I come and play? I'm guessing the altitude puts you in a WVA state of mind.

Dave2 said...

I wanna like it too! But could you give me a minute, because this report ain't going to write itself and my deadline is coming up.

Chris Burdett said...

Wonderful post, Heather. I could use some time in the mountains myself.

Megan said...

I need this. Now.

hello haha narf said...

i had a week like that last year. absolutely incredible. i'm thrilled that you got such time to relax with the family and just be.

Michael from dadcation.com said...

This is how I felt for the short 3 days we were off at a lake until yesterday. Every time I do something like this, I want to move away from Atlanta to north GA near a nice lake and slow the hell down, but we have to get the oldest out of high school and D's store sold first.

Michael from dadcation.com said...

i hope you post about your trip to KY soon!

Crack You Whip said...

My favorite times are in the mountains. Love them. Sadly, I live in Louisiana. All we have are swamps and...well, that's it.